Exhaust and flue gas after-treatment technologies
Learning outcomes: The course is designed to provide students with knowhow and knowledge in the emissions legislation, emissions formation, and emissions abatement systems.
Content and objectives: Review of emissions legislation, fundamentals of emissions formation in engines and basics of emissions abatement systems.
Clean end efficient energy conversion is the key challenge for society. The course gives an outlook on harmful emission components, measurement principles and legislative framework. Further, it provides the current state of the art in emission mitigation and after-treatment.
After passing the course, the student is able to
- list what kind of pollutants the exhaust of engines and flue gas of boiler plants contain
- explain how various constructive, management and operating factors affect the emissions quantities of exhaust and flue gases
- describe how the engine exhaust and boiler flue gases are cleaned
- describe the principles of pollutant measurement systems
- compute emissions amounts and convert measurement results to other forms defined in and required for the legislation
The course promotes problem-solving and decision-making skills, critical thinking, analytical way of working, literal expression and oral communication. The course also promotes life-long learning plus collaboration skills.
The course is online except the written exam organised in Turku and/or Vaasa.
Dates of the exam:
- 10.2.2020 at 9–12 (Turku)
- 14.2.2020 at 12–15 (Vaasa)
- 28.3.2020 at 12–15 (Vaasa)
- 30.3.2020 at 9–12 (Turku)
- 8.5.2020 at 12–15 (Vaasa) and 12.30–15.30 (Turku)
NB! During the interruption of the general examinations, you can take the exam via email. More detailed instructions will be sent to those who have registered for the exam. Registration as usual in WebOodi.
More info in University of Vaasa’s WebOodi course page.
Contact person for applications