Marine and ship systems engineering
The course utilises guided problem-based learning concept. Ship system requirements are identified in beginning and the lectures evolve around them. The course project is to select, describe and justify the choice of certain equipment. Each lecture introduces certain type of system or equipment and students afterwards consider that topic for their projects. Some topics are introduced by visiting lecturers from industry.
After the course, the student:
- can describe main systems requirements in ships
- can define and justify the ways to fulfill systems requirements
- can create a concept design of a machinery system by selecting appropriate components, guided by principles of energy efficient design
- can apply current regulatory requirements for ship systems and understands what it takes to go beyond them
- knows the utilisation of automation systems in contemporary ship designs
- can describe how adverse environmental effects of ships can be minimised, below the current and known future requirements
More info in Aalto University’s WebOodi course page.
Contact persons for applications