Marine risks and safety
The course will start with an introductory phase focusing on basic concepts and frameworks for engineering risk and safety. These are subsequently linked to specific methods for hazard identification, risk analysis and safety engineering. An overview is given of the maritime safety regulatory regime and the main regulations. Selected topics related to ship design or operation are addressed in greater depth.
- Lectures, 2 hours/week, 12 hours in total
- Exercises, 4 hours/week, 24 hours in total
- Group work, 24 hours
- Studying materials 50 hours
- Preparing for the exam 20 hours
After completing the course, the student:
- Understands the basic concepts of engineering risk and safety.
- Can explain the overall maritime safety regulatory regime and describe the contents of the main regulatory approaches to manage maritime risk and safety.
- Can identify and explain methods for hazard identification, risk analysis and safety engineering.
- Can select and apply appropriate methods for a particular problem related to ship design, ship operation or safety of maritime transportation.
More info in Aalto University’s WebOodi course page.
Contact person for applications