This is a manatory course in order to complete the whole minor.
- Heat distribution in welded joints
- Solidification and segregation
- Microstructures of the heat-affected zone
- Weldability: structural steels, low-alloyed steels, stainless steels, cast irons, nonferrous metals
- Welding defects and weldability testing
The course gives essential background information on the phenomena taking place in welding and their influence on microstructures and mechanical properties and also provides skills in select materials and welding methods. Learning outcomes: Upon completing of the required coursework, student is able to:
- explain the influence of welding conditions on temperature distribution and solidification morphology of a welded joint,
- classify typical microstructures present in the heat-affected zone of low carbon steel weldments,
- compare the importance of microstructure on mechanical properties of the joint, and
- explain the microstructure changes occurring in welding of alloyed steels, cast irons and non-ferrous metals and their influence on properties.
After the course the student also has skills to select a proper weldability test for estimating the risk of cold and hot cracking.
More information in University of Oulu’s WebOodi course page.
Contact person for applications