Perspectives on international markets
The overarching aim of the course is to broaden your understanding of international business markets. We start with how firms and networks of firms can act to enter and shape international markets. Then we focus on how their efforts to do so enmesh with the interests of different stakeholders and with external dynamics such as technological development, climate change, and political shifts. Ethical aspects of these issues are present throughout the course.
The course provides a base for subsequent advanced-level courses in international business and prepares you to work independently with issues related to international market strategy, for example as a manager, entrepreneur, consultant, or NGO representative.
After the course, the student is be able to
- identify and extract high-quality empirical information on international business markets from a range of sources
- apply relevant theoretical models and concepts to analyse this information from the perspective of internationally active firms/networks of firms, their stakeholders, and the external environment
- draw upon such analyses to identify and explain key dynamics and challenges in real business cases
- summarise findings in a detailed, balanced, and factually correct way and convey the results to others
- in addition, the student will learn/improve the following generic skills: Independent information search and analysis, assessment of information quality, writing and presentation skills and teamwork.
Lectures 16 h, exercises 16 h, independent study and preparatory work individually and in groups 103 h. 135 h in total.
Written assignments, team work and final report.
Lectures weekly on Wednesdays at 12.30–16.00. Lectures and seminars are organised on campus with streaming. FITech students may participate in team presentations on campus or remotely via Zoom.
More information in the Åbo Akademi University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
international business, international markets, market strategy
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications