Transnational entrepreneurial activities
This course introduces you to the topic of transnational entrepreneurs and their business activities, exploring how individuals operate businesses across national borders. We start by exploring the theoretical foundations of transnational entrepreneurship in the context of global migration trends, including concepts such as diaspora networks, social capital, and internationalisation strategies.
We then proceed to analyse the role of culture and identity in shaping transnational entrepreneurial behavior, delve into the practical aspects of transnational entrepreneurship, and examine its socio-economic impact. Discussions on ethical considerations and sustainability related to transnational business practices will also be covered. The course builds on prior advanced-level courses in international business and prepares you to work independently with issues related to international and transnational entrepreneurship.
After the course you are able to
- critically evaluate research on transnational entrepreneurial activities and challenges
- synthesise and apply research findings and empirical data on transnational entrepreneurship activities
- identify and solve challenging management problems specific to transnational entrepreneurship.
You will also further improve the following generic skills: Independent information search and analysis, assessment of information quality, writing and presentation skills, teamwork.
As specified in Moodle in the beginning of the course.
Lectures on Wednesdays at 14:15-15:45 between:
The sessions will be held in the ASA building in room B329 Mary P. Follett
Participation on campus is not mandatory, but participation in class is strongly encouraged to provide a good basis for your studies and help you build peer networks. If you miss the lectures you can catch up by reading and doing written assignments.
- Lectures, in-class discussions and presentations.
- Self-studies, writing and presentation of an assignment drawing on the course readings and independently collected material, reflection assignments including learning diary.
- You can complete the course fully online, but please note that the lectures are not recorded.
More information in the Åbo Akademi University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
entrepreneurship, international entrepreneurship, global migration
Hakua koskevat kysymykset