Small/medium power energy harvesting and storage devices
This is a core course.
- Wireless devices and sensor networks.
- Solar, kinetic, thermal and electromagnetic wave energy harvesting.
- Power management circuitry and energy storage.
- Component and system fabrication and characterisation.
- Hands on learning: private demonstrator manufacturing and testing.
After the course, students will learn how to implement energy supply by harvesting energy from the environment and storage it in an efficient way.
The students will also
- understand the energy requirements and design principles of self-powered and autonomous electronic systems for various sensing applications.
- understand energy harvesting and conversion techniques and thus be able to select appropriate methods according to available energy sources in defined application cases.
- understand the materials, fabrication processes and characterization methodologies of different energy harvesters and corresponding sensor systems.
- understand advanced energy storage options used for autonomous systems.
- be able to design and fabricate their own self-powered electronic devices for autonomous and ubiquitous sensing based on their own selections of application areas.
More information in University of Oulu’s WebOodi course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications