Basic principles in networking
Max amount of FITech students: 20
This course provides a theoretical and practical basis for computer networking. Besides basic networking principles, the course provides case studies of network protocols at each layer of the OSI model. Examples include HTTP and TCP/IP for data center networking, Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy for short-distance device-to-device communication, and symmetric and asymmetric encryption protocols and VPN for secure communications.
At the end of this course, you will be able to
- describe the basic principles of TCP/IP model and the representative protocols at each layer.
- use network diagnostic tools to analyse the working mechanisms and performance of networking services.
- implement basic communications services using socket programming.
- understand basic principles of network security: public/private key encryption, signatures, hashing, message authentication, email security (PGP), securing of TCP (SSL), IPSec and VPN.
- be aware of the challenges to be solved by future networking technology.
Lecture material (online)
Lectures on Mondays and Tuesdays at 12–14
More information in the Aalto University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Hakua koskevat kysymykset