Cryptography in networking
Max amount of FITech students: 15
Persons without a valid study right to a Finnish university have preference to this course.
- Basics of cryptography
- Mathematical tools
- AES, differential and linear cryptanalysis, block cipher modes, random number generators, stream ciphers, cryptanalysis against stream ciphers
- Public-key encryption:
- RSA, side channel attacks, quantum computer attacks
- Hash functions, certificates, PKI
Systems based on discrete logarithms:
- Diffie-Hellman key exchange, Man-in-the-middle attacks, One-time pad, ElGamal, Elliptic Curve Cryptography
- Key establishment, attacks, design principles
- Secret sharing, Bitcoin, Zero-knowledge proofs, Oblivious transfer, Secure multiparty computation, Authenticated encryption
- TLS, IPSec
Cryptography for mobile security:
- GSM, 3G, LTE, 5G, WiFi, Bluetooth
The student learns the most important cryptographic concepts and relevant mechanisms that are used in realizing those concepts. Examples of these concepts are symmetric ciphers, public-key encryption, digital signatures, message authentication codes and has functions. The student also learns basic mathematical tools that are used as building blocks in cryptographic mechanisms. The student becomes able to apply mathematics for the purposes of cryptography. More advanced cryptographic primitives are also learnt at least on conceptual level. Such primitives include protocols for e.g. zero-knowledge proofs, secret sharing and multipart computations. The student learns how to apply cryptographic tools for information security and privacy, especially in the domain of networking. Mobile communication and block chains are examples of application areas that the student becomes familar with.
Contact teaching. Exam at the end of the course.
- Lectures Mon 1o-12, Tue 10-12 (Material will be available after the lectures)
- Exercises Wed 10-12
The student has to complete 25% of the exercise problems to qualify to the exam. Completion of good portion of exercise problems provides bonus points in the exam. Completion of 25% provides 0 bonus points while completion of 90% provides bonus points worth of 20% of points available in the exam.
More information of the University of Helsinki course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Hakua koskevat kysymykset