Internet-of-things wireless communications
This course focuses on the requirements, enabling techniques, use cases and applications of the different Wireless Communications technologies for realizing and enabling the Internet-of-Things (IoT) and Internet-of-Everything worlds.
Different IoT requirements and use cases from wireless communications perspective
- massive MTC
- mission critical MTC
- ultra-reliable low-latency communications (URLLC) and MTC
Enabling Wireless Communications methods and systems and their key features, characteristics, pros and cons, including:
- low-range local area techniques (Bluetooth, Zigbee, Z-wave, etc) for IoT systems
- wider-range techniques (e.g. IEEE 802.11ah) for IoT systems
- wide-area techniques at unlicensed/ISM bands (LoRa, SigFox) for IoT systems
- wide-area cellular network based techniques available today, especially extended coverage GSM (EC-GSM), 3GPP LTE-M, 3GPP Narrowband IoT
- wide-area cellular network based techniques currently in the R&D phase, especially 3GPP 5G New Radio (NR) and massive MTC and mission-critical MTC solutions
Ultra reliable and low latency communications (URLLC) concept
Synchronization, modulation, and multiple access issues in IoT
Practical examples of short-, medium-, and long-range IoT applications
Link budget computations in IoT
After passing this course, the students have good and comprehensive understanding of the potential, requirements, use cases and core enabling techniques for realizing the future Internet-of-Things (IoT) system and networks. Particular emphasis is on the wireless communications physical layer and radio system/network aspects techniques.
Lecture notes, slides and other complementary materials
Active participation, small homeworks via Moodle or via presential participation or each lecture/topic area, and a small final project in (e.g., literature study and short video presentation on a chosen topic). For FITech students, flexible mechanisms are pursued.
More information in the Tampere University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
5G, 6G, tietoliikennetekniikka, tietoliikenneverkot, tiedonsiirtotekniikka, langaton teknologia, langattomat verkot, mobiiliverkot, Internet, esineiden Internet, teollinen Internet
Lisätietoa kurssista ja suorittamisesta
Hakua koskevat kysymykset