Chemistry in energy technology
NB! You can find this course on the Degree students’ application form under the study programme Åbo Akademi FITech-Tku courses 4/2021 and under Åbo Akademi FITech-ES courses 4/2021 on the Adult learners’ application form. Choose the right course from the dropdown menu.
Intensive studies organised in Turku.
Materials and their performance play an important role in various energy technology related processes. This course aims to give a basic understanding of the chemistry behind ash related problems and trace metal emissions.
Students learn about high temperature properties and chemical as well as mechanical durability of metals and ceramic refractories used in typical environment of energy production via combustion of renewable and fossil fuels and waste demolition.
After completing this course, the students are expected to be able to:
- Understand the challenges between different fuels when designing new combustion processes.
- Define terms and concepts relevant to ash chemistry in combustion processes
- In general terms explain high temperature corrosion mechanisms and explain the principles for material selection for industrial high temperature processes
- Describe the basic principles of industrial combustion systems and the ash chemistry within them
- Apply fundamental chemical theories for interpreting ash-related problems in combustion processes
- Analyse ash-related problems using expert software by following given instructions
- Use theoretical tools to interpret and estimate conditions for corrosion
More info in Åbo Akademi’s studiehandboken.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Lisätietoa opintojen suorittamisesta
Hakua koskevat kysymykset
Kemian- prosessi- ja ympäristötekniikka