Entrepreneurship and market creation
On this course, you will learn about business opportunity identification and increase your knowledge on how markets are created and shaped, how they evolve and develop, and which implications they have for business actors. You will also train your skills in turning business ideas into business models.
Digitalisation, new technologies, products and service offerings, new business actors, and unforeseeable events cause disruption to economies and society. The course aims to envision how markets come about, change and develop from the point of view of the entrepreneur and startup companies. Companies not only act in set structures (markets) but they also shape those structures.
We will study the creation, reshaping, and development of markets over time. As markets are constantly changing, we dive deeper into what this notion means for entrepreneurial action and activities.
The course introduces theoretical perspectives on markets to understand the premises for doing business and developing business models. After the introduction to markets, we focus on business models, introducing how to develop a sound business model that meets profitability and growth objectives. We will discuss how to create and deliver value for customers by working on real-world cases, turning ideas into business opportunities. Sustainable and value-creating business models are essential for delivering competitive advantage.
- Understanding the role of entrepreneurs in the market.
- Identifying and articulating business opportunities in markets.
- Elaborating on perspectives on market creation and development.
- Demonstrating how to explore markets and create successful business models based on innovations and patents.
- Moore, G. (2014): Crossing the Chasm. Marketing and Selling Disruptive Products to Mainstream Customers. 3rd Ed., Harper Bazaar.
- Osterwalder, A., Pigneur, Y. (2010): Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers. Wiley. (Published in Swedish by Studentlitteratur)
- Ries, E. (2017): Lean Startup. Random House.
- Articles according to instructions.
The course can be completed by studying online and on campus. Lectures on campus are held on Mondays at 12.30–14, except for online lectures on 3.10. and 17.10. Further instructions for those who cannot participate on campus will be available on the course page on Moodle.
Course includes team and project work, individual written assignments and a final report.
More information in the Åbo Akademi University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
entrepreneurship, yrittäjyys, market, markkinat, business model, bisnesmalli, liiketoimintamalli, liiketoiminta-ajattelu, bisnesajattelu, kestävä liiketoiminta, sustainable business, start up, start-up
Lisätietoa opintojen suorittamisesta
Hakua koskevat kysymykset