This course provides a theoretical and practical basis for protocol design and analysis, and investigates dynamics of Internet protocols from application developer’s perspective.
The course consists of case studies, such as evolution of HTTP, comparison between MQTT and CoAP, TCP extension for multipath operations, and comparison between V2X technologies. The case studies will combine theoretical analysis with empirical evidence acquired by experimentation.
At the end of this course, students will be able to
- understand how the existing network protocols work.
- know how to compare network protocols and to select suitable ones to use.
- modify existing protocols or design new ones that fulfill certain system requirements.
- apply the rules and styles of academic writing in producing reports, and work in a group to solve technical problems.
Lecture material (online)
- Lectures on Thursdays at 12–14
- Exercises on Tuesdays at 12–14 or Fridays at 14–16
More information in the Aalto University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Hakua koskevat kysymykset