Seasonal energy storage and conversion technologies
- Introduction: Integration of different energy networks / vectors (heat, biogas, transport, natural gas network, hydrogen)
- Energy conversion: Technologies, electromechanical energy conversion, wind energy conversion, solar energy conversion
- Energy storage technologies: Electricity storage systems, mechanical (pumped hydro, compressed air, flywheel), electrochemical (secondary batteries, flow batteries), chemical (hydrogen), electrical (double-layer capacitor), thermal (sensible heat storage)
- Large-scale storage applications: Heat storages and future district heating systems with distributed heat sources, seasonal storage solutions for smart and sustainable buildings in local energy communities
- Modelling the long-term deployment of energy storage integrated energy systems
By the end of the course, the student
- understands potentials and limitations of the sources and drivers for energy transition and more flexible energy systems
- can describe physical and performance characteristics related to important energy conversion and storage technologies
- has basic knowledge about effective integration of distributed energy resources for providing flexibility to the electricity networks
- can evaluate energy conversion and storage requirements and design and select suitable solutions
- can analyse and recommend conversion and storage technologies for different large-scale and long-term storage applications, including seasonal and grid energy storages
- has a basic understanding of the future in the relevant professional jobs
- has gained a solid theoretical foundation of engineering experience
- has developed lifelong learning and interpersonal skills
Lectures (recordings available) and exercises. There is no group work. Exam or other equivalent assessment (most likely homework 30 % + report 70 %).
More information in University of Vaasa’s course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Lisätietoa opintojen suorittamisesta
Hakua koskevat kysymykset