Designing and building scalable web applications
The course introduces learners to the principles of building scalable web applications, focusing on recent advances in both client- and server-side development as well as on platforms and hosting solutions. Architectural patterns and their fit and need for different types of web applications are also considered.
- Methodologies and evolution of designing and building scalable web applications, focusing on recent advances in both client- and server-side development as well as on platforms and hosting solutions.
- Architectural patterns and their fit and need for different types of web applications.
After the course, the student
- understands the multiple dimensions of scalability and understands factors that contribute to the scalability of web applications
- knows and applies architectural patterns and techniques for designing and building scalable web applications
- understands the impact of the wide range of design decisions in building scalable web applications
- knows scalability laws and reflects on them in the context of architectural decisions
- can evaluate the scalability of web applications at multiple abstraction levels
- has practical experience in designing, building, and deploying web applications that scale
Technologies: docker, docker compose, kubernetes, minikube, as well as a handful of web technologies. Online materials available at https://fitech101.aalto.fi/designing-and-building-scalable-web-applications/
Course assignments, including exercises, essays and projects.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
deno, svelte, astro, tailwind, redis, kafka