FITech – The Finnish Institute of Technology
The Finnish Institute of Technology (FITech) was founded in 2017 by seven Finnish universities of technology, Technology Industries of Finland (Teknologiateollisuus) and the Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland TEK. The founding mission of FITech is to contribute to the development of Finnish innovation capacity and to respond to competence demands arising in the field of engineering.
Initially the FITech network was solely focused on serving the competence demands of industrial companies in southwestern Finland, many of which are growing rapidly and have an increasing need to recruit competent engineers. The FITech Turku project was founded in autumn 2017 to help in responding to this demand. In 2019, FITech operations have expanded from degree eduation to adult eduation, the aim being to supplement the competences of thousands of Finnish professionals in the frowing fields of ICT and energy engineering.
The projects of FITech network are funded by the Ministry of Education and will continue on current funding until the end of 2021.
The FITech Board is responsible for strategic decision-making in the network. The board has the authority to found new FITech projects as well as nominate executive groups for projects. The board consists of representatives of founding partners, and is currently composed of:
- Eero Eloranta, chair (Aalto University)
- Jarmo Partanen (LUT University)
- Helka-Liisa Hentilä (University of Oulu)
- Jarmo Takala (Tampere University)
- Mika Hannula (University of Turku)
- Harry Linnarinne (University of Vaasa)
- Patrik Henelius (Åbo Akademi University)
- Henrik Kunttu (University of Jyväskylä)
- Mervi Karikorpi (Technology Industries of Finland)
- Juhani Nokela (Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland TEK)
FITech has a Chief Operating Officer who is responsible for reporting to the board about FITech operations. Since January 2019, Heikki Koponen served as COO of FITech. Starting in February 2020, Katri Ventus replaced him as Chief Operating Manager.