Fundamentals of accessibility
The course provides basic understanding of what accessibility is and who benefits from it, why accessibility is important, how to encounter a person with a disability, and how different laws and directives affect accessibility.
The course gives an overview of how accessibility can be taken into account in everyday communication and digital services. The topics covered in the course include: introduction to the interlingual and intermodal methods of translation and interpreting in producing accessibility services (such as subtitling, audio description, sign language and print interpreting), environmental description, accessibility technologies, needs of different groups and stakeholders, and principles of legislation.
Upon completion of the course, the student will know
- the main accessibility concepts and terminology.
- different stakeholders and their needs.
- principles of legislation.
- technologies to support accessibility ranging from traditional accessibility solutions to new ones such as AI and robotics.
- principles of accessible translation methods and digital services.
- how to apply theory to practical accessibility solutions.
All materials can be found from Digicampus Moodle. The course key is “acce21”.
Independent assignments and final essay. The course can be completed at your own pace.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Saavutettavuus, tulkkaus, viittomakieli, saavutettavat teknologiat, lainsäädäntö
User interfaces and usability