This course covers automation functions and examples of electricity distribution grids.
- Principles of distribution network operation. Structure and functions of distribution automation system.
- Principles of relay protection. The idea of using intelligent electronic device (IED) as protection relay and key element in distribution automation system.
- Network monitoring: AMR/AMI, substation monitoring, sensors, RTU
- Fault management: Field automation for medium voltage fault location, isolation and supply restoration, Switching components, Protection solutions
- Outages. Analysing the benefits of distribution automation. Reliability theory.
- Operations planning and optimisation. Switching, voltage control and overloading management.
After the course, the student
- can define the objective of distribution network operation and the functions of distribution automation.
- can explain the objectives and principles of relay protection in the case of distribution networks.
- can analyse the processes dealing with network operation and apply different automation solutions for them and analyse their benefits.
- has an idea on the development trends and ongoing research on the area of the course.
Text book (available as e-book) and lecture material in English available on the webpage of the course.
Lectures (also available as recordings). There will be an exam and laboratory work/written work. The laboratory work will be performed on campus.
More information in the Tampere University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
automation, digitalisation, electricity distribution, energy market
Hakua koskevat kysymykset