This course covers automation functions and examples of electricity distribution grids.
- Principles of distribution network operation. Structure and functions of distribution automation system.
- Principles of relay protection. The idea of using intelligent electronic device (IED) as protection relay and key element in distribution automation system.
- Network monitoring: AMR/AMI, substation monitoring, sensors, RTU
- Fault management: Field automation for medium voltage fault location, isolation and supply restoration, Switching components, Protection solutions
- Outages. Analyzing the benefits of distribution automation. Relibility theory.
- Operations planning and optimization. Switching, voltage control and overloading management.
After the course, the student
- can define the objective of distribution network operation and the functions of distribution automation.
- can explain the objectives and principles of relay protection in the case of distribution networks.
- can analyze the processes dealing with network operation and apply different automation solutions for them and analyze their benefits.
- has an idea on the development trends and ongoing research on the area of the course.
Text book (available as e-book) and lecture material in English available on the webpage of the course.
There will be an exam, laboratory work and written work.
The laboratory work will be performed on campus.
More information in the Tampere University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
automation, digitalisation, electricity distribution, energy market
Contact person for applications