ICT enabled service business and innovation
Max amount of FITech students: 15
The course will begin already in the first week of October with independent self-study modules. Lectures will begin on the 25th of October.
This course is a combination combination of online material, theory lectures, visiting lectures from industry, and case assignments from the following themes:
• Digitalisation: A high-level view to digitalisation and servitisation of economy, industries, and companies; and critical views to digitalisation
• Platform economy: Platforms, ecosystems, two-sided markets, network effects, and platform launch and governance
• Platform strategizing: Platform competition and opportunistic strategies
• Trends: Changing topics and trends driving digitalisation, e.g. possibly such AI & ML, blockchains, quantum computing
After the course you
- understand the role of ICT and software in driving digitalisation of industries and society in general.
- can apply theoretical concepts to analyse real world cases of digital transformation.
- are familiar with current trends that drive digitalisation.
- are aware of the critical perspectives related to digitalisation.
- understand digital platforms and their underpinnings, as well as platform competition and strategising.
In period I the teaching is online and self-paced (with few DL).
In period II the lectures are on campus on Tuesdays 16:15-18:00 and Fridays 12:15-14:00 (25.10.–2.12.2022). The exam will be held on 15.12.2022 at 13:00-16:00 in Otaniemi.
– Self-study online materials and assignments: 30h
– Classroom hours + lecture self-reflection 30h
– Pre-readings and lecture preparation 25h
– Assignments OR exam preparation 45h
– Total: 130h
- Participation in lectures (around 50% required, pass/fail)
- Self-study online modules (pass/fail)
- Assignments OR exam
This course cannot be taken with CS-EJ5311 Digital platform economy.
Minor changes to the course information are possible. More info on Aalto University’s course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.