Simulations and tools for telecommunications 1 ECTS
In this course you will learn basics about the wireless communication channel, how the system performance can be evaluated, about different simulation levels and simulation as a process. You will get short introduction to some simulation software like Matlab, Simulink, OPNET, CST and/or ADS without practical simulations.
- Communication channels: random number generation, AWGN noise, multipath, fading
- Performance evaluation: Monte Carlo method, confidence limits, BER
- Simulation levels: network, link, platform
- Simulation process: tools, requirements and limitations, accuracy, errors, validation
- Short introduction to some simulation software like Matlab, Simulink, OPNET, OMNET ++, CST and/or ADS
After the course, the student
- recognises problems and limitations related to simulations
- can select a suitable simulation method and knows how to validate the model
- knows how to generate signals, random numbers and noise
- knows how to model fading channels
- knows how to make Monte-Carlo simulations at the baseband level and can estimate confidence level of simulation results
- can explain principles of network level simulations
(At the basic theoretical level.)
Lecture slides in Moodle (no recordings).
Lectures (lecture slides, self-study, no recordings) and Moodle multiple choice exam (accepted/fail, unlimited number of attempts). Can be done completely online and at your own pace.
NOTE: in the study guide (link below) there are also 3 and 5 ECTS versions. However, those are open only in the fall semester (next time fall 2024) and these versions are scheduled because of the final exam and the simulation exercise. Only the 1 ECTS version is offered continuously. If you prefer to make the 3 or 5 ECTS version, you have to register next fall.
More information in the University of Oulu study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Hakua koskevat kysymykset