Simulations and tools for telecommunications 1 ECTS
In this course you will learn basics about the wireless communication channel, how the system performance can be evaluated, about different simulation levels and simulation as a process. You will get short introduction to some simulation software like Matlab, Simulink, OPNET, CST and/or ADS without practical simulations.
- Communication channels: random number generation, AWGN noise, multipath, fading
- Performance evaluation: Monte Carlo method, confidence limits, BER
- Simulation levels: network, link, platform
- Simulation process: tools, requirements and limitations, accuracy, errors, validation
- Short introduction to some simulation software like Matlab, Simulink, OPNET, OMNET ++, CST and/or ADS
After the course, the student
- recognises problems and limitations related to simulations
- can select a suitable simulation method and knows how to validate the model
- knows how to generate signals, random numbers and noise
- knows how to model fading channels
- knows how to make Monte-Carlo simulations at the baseband level and can estimate confidence level of simulation results
- can explain principles of network level simulations
(At the basic theoretical level.)
Lecture slides in Moodle (no recordings).
Lectures (lecture slides, self-study, no recordings) and Moodle multiple choice exam (accepted/fail, unlimited number of attempts). Can be done completely online and at your own pace.
NOTE: in the study guide (link below) there are also 3 and 5 ECTS versions. However, those are open only in Autumn, next time Autumn 2024 and those are scheduled because of final exam and simulation exercise. Only 1 ECTS version is offered constantly. If you prefer to make the 3 or 5 ECTS version, you have to register for next Autumn’s course (2024).
More information in the University of Oulu study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications