Sustainable urban energy
This is a supporting course.
The course introduces subjects such as legislation and standards regarding building energy efficiency and urban energy, city energy planning for the 2030 and 2050 horizons, building planning for energy efficiency, zero energy buildings, energy audits, building integrated renewable energy generation and passive solar energy utilisation as well as energy efficiency renovation, calculating energy efficiency gains and GHG reduction potential.
After the course, the student
- can explain the concepts and legislative requirements for zero energy buildings and positive energy districts
- has gained understanding of the key technologies and key performance indicators (KPIs) of energy sustainable dwellings and sustainable city structures
- will be able to calculate energy needs of buildings as well as greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with energy consumption
- can apply the psychometric chart and able to size and select suitable heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) technologies for different climate zones
- can also apply energy modelling tools and is able to size building-integrated renewable energy technologies
- can calculate the renewable energy generation potential and make an economic assessment of the applied technologies in terms of payback time and net energy costs
Learning activities and teaching methods:
Online course with pre-recorded video lectures, learning material and exercises. Self-learning and self-assessment. Video lectures and tutorials for the calculation exercises. Learning tasks and calculation exercises.
More information in University of Oulu’s WebOodi course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Hakua koskevat kysymykset