Sustainable urban energy
- Energy transition in cities, short and long-term strategies, features and KPIs of sustainable cities.
- Legislation and standards regarding building energy efficiency and urban energy; city energy planning for the 2030 and 2050 horizons.
- Building planning for energy efficiency, zero energy buildings, energy audits.
- Building integrated renewable energy generation and passive solar energy utilisation.
- Basics of HVAC technologies ensuring indoor comfort and health.
- Applying the psychometric chart for different climate zones.
- Energy efficiency renovation, calculating energy efficiency gains and GHG reduction potential.
- Building skins and energy storage in the building structure.
- Practical examples and emerging technologies.
After completing the course the student
- can explain the concepts and legislative requirements for zero energy buildings and positive energy districts.
- will gain an understanding of the key technologies and key performance indicators (KPIs) of energy sustainable dwellings and sustainable city structures.
- will be able to calculate energy needs of buildings as well as greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with energy consumption.
- can apply the psychometric chart and able to size and select suitable heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) technologies for different climate zones.
- can also apply energy modelling tools and is able to size building-integrated renewable energy technologies.
- will be able to calculate the renewable energy generation potential and make an economic assessment of the applied technologies in terms of payback time and net energy costs.
Mode of delivery
Online course with pre-recorded video lectures, learning material and exercises. Live video conference and discussion.
Learning activities and teaching methods
Self-learning and self-assessment. Video lectures and tutorials for the calculation exercises. Learning tasks and calculation exercises.
Recommended or required reading
Lecture slides and information on recommended reading material will be provided during the course.
Assessment methods and criteria
Grading of learning tasks, calculation and sizing exercises. Self-evaluation and self-assessment.
More information in the University of Oulu study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications