Sustainable urban energy
- Energy needs of buildings and cities
- Building integrated renewable energy generation, active and passive solar energy
- Buildings’ heating/cooling need
- Sizing photovoltaic systems and ground source heat pump
- Building energy efficiency, energy efficiency renovation
- Basics of HVAC technologies ensuring indoor comfort and health
- Applying the psychometric chart for different climate zones
- City planning for energy efficiency, positive energy districts
- Critical services in cities and synergies: water-energy nexus, waste-to-energy technologies, urban mobility
- Sustainability in cities, energy transition strategy for cities
Stage 1: Energy in cities (35h)
- Sustainability in cities
- Fundamentals of photovoltaics, solar thermal
- Sizing PV systems
- City district energy audit
- PV sizing exercise
Stage 2: Building energy efficiency (65h)
- Psychrometric chart
- Air-to-air energy recovery
- Building materials, U-values
- Ground-source heat pumps (GSHP)
- Building energy efficiency
- City planning for energy efficiency
- Positive energy districts
- Using the psychrometric chart
- HVAC system learning task
- Heat exchanger learning task
- Heating need calculation
- GSHP sizing exercise
- Desing work on energy efficiency renovation
- Desing work on energy efficiency in land use
Stage 3: Sustainability in cities (35h)
- Water-energy nexus
- Waste-to-energy technologies
- Urban mobility
- Waste-to-energy calculation
- Energy need for water services calculation
- Urban mobility audit and calculation task
- Desing task on city energy transition strategy
After completing the course the student
- has an understanding of energy needs of building and cities
- understands how the city structure influences the energy need of cities
- is able explain the concepts for zero energy buildings and positive energy districts
- can apply the psychometric chart and is able to size and select suitable heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) technologies for different climate zones
- can also apply energy modelling tools and is able to size building-integrated renewable energy technologies
- is able to find synergies between energy and other critical services in cities.
Lecture slides and recommended reading provided on the course Moodle site.
- Pre-recorded video lectures
- Learning tasks
- Weekly tutorial sessions online/ on campus to provide guidance for the learning tasks and opportunity for consulting. The tutorial part of these sessions will be recorded, no mandatory attendance.
The course is based on self-learning and learning by doing. Planning and calculation exercises, supported by the video lectures and tutorials.
Total work load 135 h, of which 15 guided sessions and 120 h of independent studies, including about 20 h worth of video materials.
Grading of the learning tasks, calculation and sizing exercises.
More information in the University of Oulu study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications