Thermal energy storage systems theory
To decarbonise heating sector, we also need thermal storage options and this course provides the basic concepts of different Thermal Energy Storage options. This course is aimed at a multidisciplinary audience.
This course introduces a system level approach to thermal energy storage (TES), considering the fundamentals of TES, and how it can improve the sustainability of energy systems. TES is introduced by assessing the need for its application, including excess heat from industrial and energy sector installations, production and demand mismatch (especially with RES production) and the role of consumer side incentive such as dynamic electricity and heat tariffs. A common approach is taken to all TES technologies, emphasizing the importance of temperatures and timescale (seasonal vs short term). The use of TES at different levels is then assessed as follows:
- Power plants, industrial level, including use of DH network for storage
- Community level e.g. ATES, BTES, CTES, PTES
- Buildings e.g. thermal mass, phase change materials, chemical storage, DSM with HP ground heat storage (rock/soil)
- Understand system level approach to thermal energy storage between power plants, industry, community and building level
- Can prepare fundamental heat and mass balances of thermal energy storages
- Connect the need for thermal energy storage created by both RES-Electricity and RES-Heat
- Compare functioning of different energy storage technologies & materials
- Able to characterise energy storage by technology, temperature, and timescale
All material is provided on the course platform.
No specific software needed.
The course contains only video modules and individual assignments with return dates (deadlines are agreed when the course starts). The course does not require attendance.
Each module has a start and end date (including video lectures, reading materials and independent tasks). Tasks must be submitted by the end of the module.
Video modules, independent assignments.
More information in the Aalto University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Thermal Energy Storage, Heating solutions, Buildings
Hakua koskevat kysymykset
Energiavarastoinnin sovellukset ja teknologiat,
Kemia ja materiaalit energiavarastoinnissa