The course discusses practical application of project management in different types of projects, and in different organizations and industries. The course covers advanced project management approaches and methodologies in specific core areas, including organizing, scheduling and management of time on project and system life cycles, management of risk and uncertainty, management of stakeholders and multi-firm networks.
Company representatives are welcome and can participate for free.
The course starts in Turku, in Åbo Akademi’s premises, on March 5, 2019. The course requires participations in all seminars, which take place working day evenings, to allow also participation of individuals working in companies. There will also be obligatory pre- and post-assignments in connection to each seminar. For further information on examination requirements, please see the course description on Åbo Akademi’s web.
Important: Introduction to project management course or other basic course in Project management is a prerequisite for the Advanced course.
The course covers the following core areas organised in six modules are as follows:
- Module 1: Management of complex projects
- Module 2: Project scheduling and interdependencies
- Module 3: Project risk and uncertainty
- Module 4: Managing multi-firm projects
- Module 5: Managing external environment
- Module 6: Project management in different contexts and industries
NOTE: If the student does not want to complete the whole 5 cr course, it is also possible to take and complete only selected modules that are of interest for the student. The modules are stand-alone entities. From each passed module, the student earns 0.5 credits.
The course seminars will be held in Turku in Axelia (Piispankatu 8) as follows (room to be announced):
- Seminar on Module 1 – Tuesday 5.3 at 16.15-20.00
- Seminar on Module 2 – Tuesday 12.3 at 16.15-20.00
- Seminar on Module 3 – Tuesday 19.3 at 16.15-20.00
- Seminar on Module 4 – Tuesday 26.3 at 16.15-20.00
- Seminar on Module 5 – Tuesday 2.4 at 16.15-20.00
- Seminar on Module 6 – Tuesday 9.4 at 16.15-20.00
- Online seminar – 5- 7.5 (peer evaluation)
- Final seminar – Tuesday 14.5 at 16.15-20.00 (presentations & wrap-up)
The “Take home exam” shall be done 15.5 – 19.5.