Max amount of FITech students: 30
Persons without a valid study right at a Finnish university or university of applied sciences have preference to this course.
On this course, you will learn the basics of the radiofrequency antennas and their radiation mechanisms. The course will cover main antenna types used in wireless devices and offers possibility to learn basics of 3D EM design tools. During the course, practical antenna modelling and simulations are used to explain and understand the antenna theory.
This course provides the student with a basic knowledge of different types of antennas, their radiation characteristics, design and analysis.
- Introduction to different antenna types.
- Fundamental parameters of antennas.
- Antennas as a part of a radio system.
- Radiation of an antenna from the Maxwell’s equations.
- Typical linear wire antennas, loop antennas, microstrip antennas, antenna arrays.
- Antennas for wireless devices, antenna/human body interaction, base station antennas.
- 3D electromagnetic simulation.
After completing the course, the student
- knows antenna terminology and understands the role of antennas as a part of different radio systems.
- is familiar with the theories explaining the electromagnetic radiation of usual antenna types and antenna arrays.
- will be able to design wire antennas, micro strip antennas and antenna arrays for different radio systems.
- will be able to design and analyse various antenna types and arrays using 3D electromagnetic simulation software.
Recommended literature: C.A. Balanis: Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design (3rd or 4th Ed). Chapters 1–6 and 14. John Wiley & Sons, 2005 or 2016.
- Lectures 13.3.–2.5.
- Exercises 22.3.–26.4.
- Exam Tue 16.5.2023 at 16.15–19.15
Lectures, exercises, a design work and exam. The course can be completed online. The course is passed with a final examination and the accepted design work report. In the final grade of the course, the weight for the examination is 0.5 and that of the design work is 0.5.
More information in the University of Oulu study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications