This is a supporting course.
NB! Please note that there will be updates regarding the time and place for the course due to the limitations on how courses can be offered in the first period. Some of the courses will partly or entirely be given online.
We estimate the course information to be updated August 15th at the latest.
This course gives students basic knowledge in electrochemistry and some of its common applications, for example scanning electrochemical microscopy. Also theoretical knowledge of other electrochemical concepts such as fuel cells, supercapacitors and batteries will be presented.
After the course, the students are familiar with the following electrochemical concepts/techniques/preparation methods:
- Electrochemical reactions at metal and semiconductor electrodes
- Nernst and Butler-Volmer equation
- The electrical double layer
- Basic principles of common electrochemical techniques including e.g. voltammetry, potentiometry, conductometry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and scanning electrochemical microscopy
- Fuel cells, supercapacitors and batteries
- Electroactive materials
- Most common electrochemical sensors
Lectures, calculation and laboratory exercises and self-studies. Three laboratory exercises carried out in pairs (two persons) are included in the course. In addition, at least two non-compulsory calculation exercises are included in the course. Well done exercises can compensate for max. one grade in the course exam.
The course exam is arranged in the end of week 43 (19.–23.10.2020). After that, the exam can be re-taken on 20.11.2020 and 5.3.2021.
More information in Åbo Akademi’s course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
NB! You will find this course under the name ”FITech-ES Fall 2020” on the application form.
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications