This course gives students basic knowledge in electrochemistry and some of its common applications, for example scanning electrochemical microscopy. Also theoretical knowledge of other electrochemical concepts such as fuel cells, supercapacitors and batteries will be presented.
After the course, the students are familiar with the following electrochemical concepts/techniques/preparation methods:
- Electrochemical reactions at metal and semiconductor electrodes
- Nernst and Butler-Volmer equation
- The electrical double layer
- Basic principles of common electrochemical techniques including e.g. voltammetry, potentiometry, conductometry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and scanning electrochemical microscopy
- Fuel cells, supercapacitors and batteries
- Electroactive materials
- Most common electrochemical sensors
Lectures, calculation and laboratory exercises and self-studies. Three laboratory exercises carried out in pairs (two persons) are included in the course. In addition, at least two non-compulsory calculation exercises are included in the course. Well done exercises can compensate for max. one grade in the course exam.
More information in Åbo Akademi’s course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications