Battery recycling and ecosystems
This course will give the student an overview of battery recycling and ecosystems. During the course, mechanical and chemical processes for battery recycling are studied. Battery recycling is considered from the sustainability viewpoint, taking into account environmental and economic issues and related legislation of battery recycling. Some recent industrial activities of battery recycling are considered.
- Battery types for recycling
- Current state-of-the-art of battery recycling
- Battery cell disassembling
- Pyrometallurgical processes for battery recycling
- Hydrometallurgical processes
- Challenges related to sustainability of battery recycling
- Legislation and battery directive
- Key industrial activities on battery recycling
- The student will learn the basic knowledge of battery recycling and its ecosystems.
- The student understands the chemistry of pyrometallurgical and hydrometallurgical processes for battery recycling.
- Further, student will learn how to improve battery recycling from sustainable chemistry viewpoint.
- The student will become familiar also with the legislation related to battery recycling, and some recent industrial activities.
Material given by the lecturer.
Moodle for learning environment, Zoom for online implementation.
Examination/learning exercises in the learning environment and project work.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Sustainability, Battery, Recycling, kierrätys, kestävä kehitys, akkukierrätys, ympäristö
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications
Chemical process and environmental engineering,
Chemistry and materials of energy storages