Biofuels engineering and energy technology
The course follows the contents (not all) of the reference book: Biofuels Engineering and Technology (Springer) written by the responsible teacher.
The course is divided mainly into two sections. In the first section, the focus is on the questions:
- How biomass generates?
- What are the main types of biomass utilized for energy conversion?
- How we assess the suitability of biomass for energy conversion?
After delineating the aspects related to light harvesting (utilization of radiation by biological devices seen as bio-energy converters), the assessment of the quality of the biomass is covered firstly by proximate analysis (calorimetric bomb) and secondly by evaluating the composition of biomass with the methods of elemental analysis and chromatography.
The second part of the course will focus on the questions:
- What are the best solutions applied in biofuels engineering?
- What are, among others, the different routes involved for biogas, bioethanol and biodiesel production?
- How we can utilize the biofuel generated for the purpose of energy conversion?
The course is organised as classroom teaching in Vaasa. Lectures are available online and recorded. During the course, points are collected in connection to the course activities: course test, homework, report, presentation and attendance.
More information in Åbo Akademi’s study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
NB! You will find this course under the name “FITech-ES Fall 2020” on the application form.
Contact person for applications