- Error-detecting and error-correcting codes for digital communication and storage
- The theory of the most important code classes, including an introduction to turbo and LDPC codes
- Coding/decoding algorithms
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to
- explain the benefit from applying error control coding (and determine this more exactly in given situations).
- apply basic concepts of coding theory (including related algebra).
- differentiate between block coding and convolutional coding.
- classify and describe the most important families of codes (in particular, state-of-the-art error-correcting codes).
- apply a proper decoding scheme to a chosen coding method.
Lecture material (online).
- Lectures on Mondays at 12.15–14 & Wednesdays at 10–12
- Exercises on Thursdays at 12–16
- Course exam on Wednesday 23.2.2022 at 16.30–19.30
Exam, lectures, exercises, project.
More information in the Aalto University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications