Cross-cultural marketing and management
Managers and marketers often overlook culture when planning their marketing activities, strategies and other important business processes. However, consideration of culture in international business has been documented as crucial both by scholars and practitioners.
This course teaches how culture impacts various aspects of marketing and management. The students will receive knowledge on international business from a cultural perspective by considering topics such as national and organisational culture, culture and consumer behavior, intercultural communication and negotiation, global, local and glocal strategies, migrants and refugees and many others. The knowledge will be enriched by practical examples of doing business across cultures.
The students will learn how to apply the obtained knowledge by developing a cross-cultural marketing plan for entering a foreign market.
Students will also learn critical and ethical thinking, analytic and systematic thinking, information retrieval, problem-solving, networking and communication, interdisciplinary and multi-professional team work, ability to learn and adopt new things, acting in a multicultural environment, communication in English as well as other skills.
After the course, the student is able to
- examine the role and challenges of culture in international marketing and management
- analyse how differences between different cultures influence various aspects of doing business across cultural borders
- apply their knowledge in practice by developing a cross-cultural marketing plan
- Lecture slides
- Articles chosen by the instructor
- Course books:
Usunier J-C., & Lee J.A. (2013). Marketing Across Cultures (6th ed.). London: Pearson. ISBN: 0273757733
Thomas, D.C., & Peterson, M.F. (2017). Cross-Cultural Management: Essential Concepts (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. ISBN: 9781506387529
- Online Zoom lectures will be organised between 31 October and 21 December on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10–11:30.
- Lectures & guest lectures
- Seminars and workshops (e.g. presentations, group work, etc.)
- Self study (individual assignments, group reports)
- Written or oral examination
Students must complete all assignments and obtain at least 50 points for each.
More information in the Åbo Akademi study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
kansainvälinen kauppa, markkinointi, johtaminen, kulttuuri, kulttuurienvälinen markkinointi, myynti, asiakaskäyttäytyminen
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications