This course focuses on the core digital information transmission and signal processing techniques utilised in all widely-used communications systems and networks, like 2G/3G/4G/5G mobile communication networks, wireless LANs, digital TV broadcasting, and DSL. These techniques include error control coding, digital modulation, filtering, channel equalisation and detection.
- Information theoretic foundation of electrical communication
- Baseband and bandpass digital communication
- Performance of digital communication chains
- Detection theory and intersymbol interference (ISI) mitigation
- Error control coding in digital communication systems
- Synchronisation basics
After completing the course, the student
- Can explain the information theoretic foundations of digital communications.
- Can recognise and explain the main elements of digital communication systems and the common digital modulation methods in waveform domain.
- Is able to analyse the transmission link level performance of digital communication systems.
- Recognises and is able to explain the main functions of digital communications transmitters and receivers.
- Can explain the significance and principles of error control coding in digital communication systems.
Lecture notes, slides and other complementary materials.
Project work and exam. For FITech students, flexible mechanisms are pursued.
More information in the Tampere University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
5G, 6G, tietoliikennetekniikka, tietoliikenneverkot, tiedonsiirtotekniikka, langaton teknologia, langattomat verkot, mobiiliverkot, Internet, esineiden Internet, teollinen Internet, digitaalinen modulaatio, informaatioteoria, koodausteoria, Matlab
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications