Electrochemical energy conversion
Max amount of FITech students: 20
Persons without a valid study right at a Finnish university or university of applied sciences have preference to this course.
During this course, different type of electrochemical cells used for electrochemical energy conversion and storage applications are presented. These include for example batteries, fuel cells and hydrogen electrolyser. The students get acquainted with the operation of these cells and effect of the electrochemically active material properties on their performance. Assembly of electrochemical energy cells is practiced, and electrochemical analysis methods used to characterize them are introduced.
After the course the student will be able to
- name the most common electrochemical cells used for electrochemical energy conversion and storage
- know typical applications for the above-mentioned cells
- know how electrochemically active materials function during electrochemical energy conversion and storage reactions
- apply electrochemical theories for understanding the behavior of the cells used for electrochemical energy conversion and storage
- apply electrochemical analysis methods for investigation of electrochemical energy conversion and storage cells
Course book “Electrochemical Technologies for Energy Storage and Conversion” edited by Ru-Shi Liu, Lei Zhang, Xueliang Sun,Hansan Liu, and Jiujun Zhang is used. It is available as an e-book at the Aalto University library.
- Lectures Tue 12-14, Thu 14-16
- Exercises (1-2 /week)
- A seminar presentation (based on literature research on the latest developments in the field)
- Two laboratory works with reports
All the assignments are compulsory and they affect the appraisal and the grade.
More information on the Aalto University course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications