Back to all coursesStart the application process
Introduction to embedded systems
- Binariary arithmetic: Two’s complementary numbers, addition / subtraction, overflow, multiplication, and shifts.
- Combinational logic design: logic gates, truth tables, Boolean algebra.
- Designing sequential logic: concept and structure of a state machine, D-flip, state transition diagram.
- Characteristics of digital circuits: unit delay.
- Computer components: registers, PC, SP, flags, ALU. Program fetch and execution. Machine language. Memory.
- C-language program.
- Subroutines and functions. Stack. Pass of parameters.
After passing the course, the student
- knows simple arithmetic operations with binary numbers and can identify the corresponding digital components
- can design a combinational gate network from a description
- can design a state diagram of the state machine from a description
- can explain how the processor’s CPU and memory operate together to execute a program
- can implement and test simple hardware-based C-language programs utilising software development and debugger tools
- can explain the functionality and limitations of basic computer arithmetic
More information in Tampere University’s study guide.
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications
Start the application process
Study is open for:
Level of studies:
Place of contact learning: