Introduction to embedded systems
Please note that in spring 2024 this course will be arranged only in English.
- Voltage controlled transistor. Operation in digital devices. Basic logic gates.
- Combinational logic design. Truth tables, Boolean algebra, gate network.
- Binariary arithmetic. Two’s-complement representation, addition/subtraction, overflow, multiplication and shifts.
- Operation of RISC-type processor (data path). Machine instruction, its fetch and execution. Instruction and data memory, registers, ALU.
- Subroutines and functions. Stack and activation record. Pass of parameters.
- Hardware-based (high-level) programming applying peripherals. Time control. Code verification (low-level).
- CMOS technology.
- Hierarchical design (component level design).
- Dynamic/static and volatile/non-volatile memory.
- High-level code optimizing.
- Student can design a combinational gate network from a description/specification.
- Knows simple arithmetic operations with binary numbers and can identify the corresponding digital components.
- Can explain the functionality and limitations of basic computer arithmetic.
- Can explain how the CPU and memory operate together to execute a program.
- Can implement and test simple (high level) hardware-based programs utilizing software development and debugger tools.
Lectures are 10.1.–21.2.2024 at 10–12 and the laboratory work groups meet starting from 5.3.2024.
More information in the Tampere University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
C-ohjelmointi ohjelmointi binääri tietokoneet sulautetut järjestelmät CPU Memory hardware-based C-language arithmetic operations binary numbers
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications