Introduction to wind and solar energy technology
The course is alternative with the course Wind power and solar energy technology and business (5 ECTS). Both cannot be studied.
- Process modelling from kinetic energy of wind into company turnover and from solar radiation to turnover.
- Basic components of a wind power plant (turbine, gearbox, generator, power electronics, tower).
- Environmental effects of wind power, wind park planning, grid effects of wind power, economic feasibility of wind power under different circumstances, wind conditions in Finland.
- Solar energy technologies, operating principle of solar panels, PV solar power plant structure.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to
- describe the process from wind energy into company turnover at the principle level,
- identify and describe the key technologies related to wind power, the core business principles, environmental issues, energy policy and their development trends,
- describe the mutual effects of wind power and electric power systems,
- identify and describe the technologies related to solar power, and
- describe the structure and basic principle of photovoltaic cells.
Material handed out in class, mostly lecture videos. Materials will be found on the course Moodle platform.
Recorded weekly lectures. Weekly homework.
Weekly homework (12 weeks).
More information in the LUT University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
wind power, solar energy, tuulivoima, aurinkovoima
Contact person for applications
Energy markets and business models