Modelling and simulation
Max amount of FITech students: 5
- Discrete event simulation method
- Pseudo random numbers and generation of random variables from given distributions
- Steady state simulation and statistical analysis of simulation data
- Variance reduction methods
- Simulation of (discrete state) Markov processes and elementary birth-death processes
- Simulation of M/G/1 queue with application to scheduling in cellular systems
- Job dispatching problem in server farms and its simulation
After the course the student can
- analyze the performance of non-Markovian systems by using discrete event simulation, including the appropriate statistical analysis of the simulation data.
- design a new random number generator for a given distribution, when a standard generator is not available.
- simulate complex multi-server queuing models that are used to model computer and communication systems.
- develop simulation programs using Mathematica.
Mid-term exam, project works, home assignments
More information on the Aalto University course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications