Multicarrier and multiantenna techniques
The course focuses on multicarrier (OFDM, OFDMA, SC-FDMA, FBMC, DMT) and multiantenna/MIMO digital communication techniques, which are central ingredients in all advanced communication system developments including mobile communication systems (LTE, LTE-A, 5G), WLAN/WiFi, terrestrial TV transmission (DVB-T, etc.), and digital subscriber line modems.
BASICS OF MULTICARRIER MODULATION:
- OFDM principles
- Effect and purpose of CP
- Multipath channel effects and equalization
- Peak-to-average power ratio problem and mitigation methods
SYNCHRONIZATION AND CHANNEL ESTIMATION:
- Effects of timing and frequency offsets
- Phase noise effects
- Pilot based and data aided channel estimation
- Basic schmes for frequency synchronization
- Basic schemes for symbol synchronization
- SC-FDMA, DFT-spread OFDM and frequency-domain equalization in single-carrier transmission
- 5G New Radio
- WLAN: 802.11a/g/n/ac/ax/ay/…
- Digital broadcasting: DVB-T -family
- Power-line communications (PLC)
- Forms of diversity (time, frequency, space)
- Diversity combining methods and resulting performance
- Outage probability
- Receiver antenna diversity
- Basics of space-time coding
- Spatial multiplexing;
- Open-loop and closed-loop MIMO techniques
- Adaptive bit-loading, waterfilling principle
- Adaptive modulation and coding (AMC) schemes
- Diversity vs. AMC methods in system level considerations
- Improved channel estimation & synchronization techniques
- Multicarrier CDMA
ENHANCED SPECTRUM LOCALIZATION:
- OFDM sidelobe suppression methods
- Filtered OFDM
- Filter bank multicarrier (FBMC) techniques and waveforms
After completing the course, the student
- has in-depth knowledge about multicarrier and multiantenna based digital communication techniques and their applications in current and emerging broadband digital communication systems and networks.
- is able to construct a model for an OFDM transmission link and explain its core functionalities.
- has a good understanding of different multiantenna transmission schemes and their applicability and benefits in different radio communication scenarios.
Lecture notes, slides and other complementary materials
Project work and exam. For FITech students, flexible mechanisms are pursued.
More information in the Tampere University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
5G, 6G, tietoliikennetekniikka, tietoliikenneverkot, tiedonsiirtotekniikka, langaton teknologia, langattomat verkot, mobiiliverkot, Internet, esineiden Internet, teollinen Internet, monikantoaaltotekniikka, moniantennitekniikka
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications