This course teaches performance analysis of modern computer and communication systems.
- Recap of prerequisites
- Stochastics: Conditional expectation. Phase-type distributions. Reversibility. Regenerative processes.
- Single-server queues: M/G/1-FIFO queue. M/G/1-PS queue. Optimal scheduling problem. Applications.
- Multi-server queueing systems: Separability. Optimal dispatching problem. Applications.
- Queueing networks: Open queueing networks. Closed queueing networks. Applications.
- Resource sharing: Max-min fairness, Alpha-fairness, Balanced fairness. Applications.
After the course, the student
- is able to apply Markov processes and regenerative processes to model various computer and communication systems;
- is able to construct, analyse and optimise stochastic queueing models to evaluate the performance of the system;
- comprehends selected applications of the performance analysis of modern computer and communication systems.
Lecture slides (online).
- Lectures on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9–12
- Exercises on Mondays and Wednesdays at 16–18
- Exam on 5.6.2024 at 16.30–19.30
Examination (100 %), exercises.
More information in the Aalto University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications