Power electronic application in smart grids
Autumn 2020 course is cancelled. Information of next implementation will be announced later.
This course will cover following topics:
- Brief introduction to power electronics
- Different topologies of power electronics converter (AC/DC, DC/DC converter interfaces of distributed energy resources)
- Power electronic applications and power quality (grid side filters of inverters/converters and their design), PQC – Power quality conditioners, charging of electric vehicles and effect of power quality, FACTS, SVC, STATCOM
- Wind turbine systems
- PV system
- Battery energy storage system
- Visiting lecturer from industry
- DC, hybrid AC/DC distribution/Microgrid
- Power electronics based solid-state transformers for future smart grids, or power electronics based circuit-breakers e.g. for future microgrids
After completing this course successfully, the student
- understands basic concept of power electronics systems and semi-conductor switches as well as power electronic converter topologies, their control dynamics and design for power electronic devices / interfaces
- has knowledge about power electronic applications and power quality as well as wind, PV, and BESS systems power electronics interface and power electronics based solid-state transformers for future smart grids.
Moreover, course develops lifelong learning and interpersonal skills.
More information in University of Vaasa’s course page.
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications