Power electronic application in smart grids
Autumn 2020 course is cancelled. Information of next implementation will be announced later.
This course will cover following topics:
- Brief introduction to power electronics
- Different topologies of power electronics converter (AC/DC, DC/DC converter interfaces of distributed energy resources)
- Power electronic applications and power quality (grid side filters of inverters/converters and their design), PQC – Power quality conditioners, charging of electric vehicles and effect of power quality, FACTS, SVC, STATCOM
- Wind turbine systems
- PV system
- Battery energy storage system
- Visiting lecturer from industry
- DC, hybrid AC/DC distribution/Microgrid
- Power electronics based solid-state transformers for future smart grids, or power electronics based circuit-breakers e.g. for future microgrids
After completing this course successfully, the student
- understands basic concept of power electronics systems and semi-conductor switches as well as power electronic converter topologies, their control dynamics and design for power electronic devices / interfaces
- has knowledge about power electronic applications and power quality as well as wind, PV, and BESS systems power electronics interface and power electronics based solid-state transformers for future smart grids.
Moreover, course develops lifelong learning and interpersonal skills.
Teaching methods: Real-time lectures and exercises, the recordings are available afterwards.
More information in University of Vaasa’s course page.
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications