Max amount of FITech students: 20
Persons without a valid study right to a Finnish university have preference to this course.
This course gives an introduction to computer architecture and program execution from gate level to high-level programming languages.
Course content: Programming abstractions and analysis of program performance. Aspects of functional programming, e.g. recursive definitions and recursion. Introduction to computer science and problem-solving with algorithms.
Upon successfully completing the course, the student
- understands the essential functional structure of a programmable computer and its operation during program execution
- understands the physical limitations and possibilities of computers, including the main computational resources (time, space, parallelism, etc) and how to put these into use
- can determine/measure the performance of a computer program in practice, in simple cases by inspecting only the structure of the program
- understands what is meant by an abstract interface and its implementation, including the possibility of alternative implementations with different performance characteristics
- understands the concept of recursion and can write programs that employ recursion and operate on recursive data structures
- knows the basics of algorithm design and analysis, including selected designs for fundamental combinatorial tasks (searching, sorting, etc.)
More information in Aalto University’s WebOodi course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications