Max amount of FITech students: 30
Persons without a valid study right to a Finnish university have preference to this course.
- The radio channels of different radio systems.
- Characterization of radio waves and propagation media.
- Different mechanisms of radio wave propagation: direct free-space propagation, absorption, scattering, reflection, refraction, diffraction, surface and ground waves, ionospheric waves and multipath propagation.
- Statistical description of fading radio channel.
- Principles of the radio channel modelling.
- Noise calculations.
- Radio wave propagation phenomena over fixed terrestrial, ionospheric and satellite links.
- Radio channel modelling for outdoor mobile systems.
- Radio wave propagation inside or into buildings.
- Radio channels of mobile satellite links.
- Slow fading.
- Multipath propagation and its effects on narrowband and wideband radio channels.
- MIMO radio channels.
- Measurement methods of radio channels.
- Atmospheric attenuation on terahertz frequency bands.
After completing the course, the student
- will be able to define what the radio channel is and is able to distinguish it into modellable parts
- knows different radio wave propagation mechanisms
- can apply physical and empirical radio channel models
- is able to analyse which are the dominating propagation mechanisms in different environments
- will know how to measure the properties of different radio channels.
Lecture notes and additional reading:
- Andreas Molisch, 2012: Wireless Communications. Wiley-IEEE Press.
- Simon R. Saunders & Alejandro Aragón-Zavala, 2007: Antennas and propagation for wireless communication systems. Second edition. John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Lectures and exercise sessions are organised on campus (video recordings). Lab work in campus, with remote option. Final exam remotely. Changes possible. The course can be completed largely online by studying independently.
More information on the University of Oulu course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Further information about the course and studying