Smart grids – active networks and microgrids
After completing this course successfully, the student
- understands drivers for smart grids and can identify impacts of large-scale integration of renewable energy resources (RES)
- has knowledge about distributed energy resources (DER)
- has basic knowledge about DER units control and management
- has knowledge about dynamics, control and protection of microgrids
- is familiar with different grid codes related to DER and smart grids and understands their need and effect on active network management and protection
- has knowledge about need for increased cooperation between distribution and transmission networks
- understands power quality and network planning aspects due to large-scale integration of DER in MV and LV distribution networks
- has basic knowledge about new service operators and new market and business models of future active network concepts
- can apply simulation tools to study the network interconnection and control effects of DER
The course develops lifelong learning and interpersonal skills.
Lectures will be held online on Tuesdays at 14–16. Materials and recording available.
- 3 ECTS (SATEFT3170A)
- Final exam in Moodle, multiple choice questions from lectures 1-9, three attempts
- Course grading: pass or fail
- 2 ECTS (SATEFT3170B)
- Written assignment, from chosen lecture topic done individually (not a group work)
- Simulation exercise reports, from both simulation exercises 1 and 2, can be done individually
- Requires also passing of SATEFT3170A, Part 1
More information in the University of Vaasa study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
älyverkko älykäs sähköverkko uusiutuvat energianlähteet
Contact person for applications