Wind power and solar energy technology and business
The course is an alternative to the course Introduction to wind and solar energy technology (2 ECTS). Both cannot be studied.
- Process modelling from kinetic energy of wind into company turnover and from solar radiation to turnover.
- Basic components of a wind power plant (turbine, gearbox, generator, power electronics, tower).
- Environmental effects of wind power, wind park planning, grid effects of wind power, economic feasibility of wind power under different circumstances, wind conditions in Finland.
- Solar energy technologies, operating principle of solar panels, PV solar power plant structure.
Upon completion of the course the student will be able to
- model the process from wind energy into company turnover at the principle level
- identify and describe the key technologies related to wind power, the core business principles, environmental issues, energy policy and their development trends
- describe the mutual effects of wind power and electric power systems
- identify and describe the technologies related to solar power
- describe the basic principle of photovoltaic cells
- estimate the performance and profitability of a PV plant.
Material handed out in class, mostly lecture videos. Materials will be found on the course Moodle platform.
Recorded weekly lectures. Weekly homework. Two assignments.
Weekly homework (12 weeks), 2 assignments.
More information in the LUT University study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
wind power, solar energy, tuulivoima, aurinkoenergia, liiketoiminta, liiketoimintamalli, lainsäädäntö
Contact person for applications
Energy markets and business models