Wireless communications I
Max amount of FITech students: 30
Persons without a valid study right to a Finnish university have preference to this course.
This course introduces the basic concepts of wireless communication.
- Radio channel models
- Digital modulation and detection methods
- Carrier and symbol synchronisation
- Performance of digital modulation in AWGN and fading channel
- Diversity techniques
- Coding for wireless channel
- Multicarrier modulation
- Spread spectrum
- Cellular systems
After completing the course, the student
- can analyse the performance of multilevel digital modulation methods in AWGN channel
- can explain the effect of fading channel on the performance of the modulation method and can analyse the performance
- recognises and understand suitable diversity methods for fading channel and related combining methods
- understands and can explain coding methods for wireless channels
- recognises different wideband systems
- understands the cellular system principle.
- There are no set exam dates (except the final exam), the student can do the minor exams at any time but there are deadlines before which they need to be done.
- In addition, the course has the last return dates for additional assignments (for which you get extra points) and for the report of the laboratory work.
- All dates and times can be found in Moodle. The Moodle page will be open on 20th of November 2023. Everything you need can be found on that Moodle page. Access to the Moodle workspace requires Peppi-registration for the implementation (you need to accept the study place in Studyinfo and after that your study right will be created).
- (Fall implementation of this course is arranged during 30.8.–30.10.2023.)
Studying is supported with video presentations of the lecture and exercise material. The course uses Matlab software.
- The course can be completed fully online by studying independently.
- The course is passed by four minor exams OR a final exam AND a lab work. Changes to the teaching methods are possible.
More information on the University of Oulu course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Telecommunication Engineering WCII
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications