Advanced project-based management
The course discusses practical application of project management in different types of projects, and in different organisations and industries. The course covers advanced project management approaches and methodologies in specific core areas, including organising, scheduling and management of time on project and system life cycles, management of risk and uncertainty, management of stakeholders and multi-firm networks. The aim of the course is to give students in-depth knowledge of different areas of project management and project business, and to develop skill to apply this knowledge to solve practical challenges in the management of complex projects.
The course covers the following core areas organised in six modules:
- Module 1: Management of complex projects
- Module 2: Project scheduling and interdependencies
- Module 3: Project risk and uncertainty
- Module 4: Managing multi-firm projects
- Module 5: Managing external environment
- Module 6: Project management in different contexts and industries
Upon completion of the course the students are able to:
- Explain different management processes and methodologies and evaluate their suitability to divergent project environments (Module 1).
- Apply analytical methods that improve our ability to handle interdependencies, uncertainty and dynamism in project scheduling (Module 2).
- Classify risks and analyse uncertainty in projects (Module 3).
- Develop processes and structures to successfully manage multi-firm projects (Module 4).
- Evaluate the relationship of projects and their external environment and stakeholders (Module 5).
- Evaluate, analyse and distinguish between approaches and processes to manage real-life projects and project teams (Module 6).
Participating in the Advanced project-based management (APM) course gives the student excellent capabilities in how projects are developed, planned and executed for long-term value creation, and how project business is managed at the firm-level and at the level of international business.
Company representatives are welcome and can participate for free.
The course will be implemented as a series of virtual seminars (allowing for remote participation) scheduled for evenings. Successful completion of the course requires active participations in the seminars.
More info in Åbo Akademi’s course page.
NB! You will find this course under the name “FITech-Tku Fall 2020” on the Degree students’ application form and under the name “FITech-ES Fall 2020” on the Adult learners’ application form.
Contact person for applications