Emerging technologies & ecosystems
The course introduces the students to emerging technologies, their characteristics, and their potential to create new business and shape markets.
During the course, the students learn about disruptive contexts in which technology spurs development, such as wireless communication technologies (5G, 6G), the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence and machine learning, autonomous solutions, as well as different kinds of smart environments (smart grid, smart agriculture, smart cities etc.) and trends promising new business models, such as space travel.
For emerging technologies to succeed, firms engage in business ecosystems and build platforms for navigating digital disruption. The course introduces the students to the concept of business ecosystems and their strategic dimensions related to emerging technologies.
From a research method perspective, the course introduces the students to future studies, technology foresight and trend spotting. During the course, students deepen their knowledge of a selected emerging technology by collecting and analysing empirical data, showcasing the potential future impact of the emerging technology and implications for marketing and/or markets.
The course content is designed with the purpose to support the learner’s ability to
- evaluate the potential impact of emerging technologies on future markets.
- communicate impact of emerging technology for marketing and/or other disciplines.
- utilise future studies methods to analyse the dynamics of emerging technologies and ecosystems.
- Describe the logic of technology and market disruptions
- Identify and define emerging technologies
- Explain the relevance of business ecosystems for the firm
- Create narratives and projections of the future impact of emerging technologies on markets/marketing
Articles and other material according to instructions. The student is not required to have credentials to specific technology or programs.
Lectures/workshops on campus with remote access on Wednesdays at 14.15–15.45.
Continuous examination throughout the course:
- Individual written key learning notes (tentatively bi-weekly)
- Case study including data collection, analysis, and reporting (in team)
- Individual course portfolio
Course includes teaching on campus, but it can be competed fully online.
More information in the Åbo Akademi study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
liiketoimintaekosysteemi, orastavat teknologiat, markkinointi, tulevaisuuden tutkimus, esineiden internet, asioiden internet, IoT, tekoäly, koneoppiminen
Further information about the course and studying
Contact person for applications