Introduction to project management
This course provides participants with the basic knowledge of project management and project business.
The purpose of the course is to teach the principles of project business and especially the concepts and methods of managing a single project. The focus is on giving students basic skills in the successful management of a single project. Another theme is how a project is managed in a wider context: how the project business is organised and how a project is managed as part of the organisation’s activities. The course also teaches the basics of project portfolio management, what is the project’s interaction with the surrounding business environment, and how the projects are managed thought-out their whole life cycle.
The course can be in completed either in Finnish or in English.
- Principles of project management and project business
- Concepts and methods of managing a single project
- Project sales and marketing
- Project planning and control
- Time management and scheduling
- Management of costs and resources
- Basics of project portfolio management
- Managing projects thought-out their life cycle.
- Managing a project team and the skills and capabilities of a project manager
After completing the course, the participant knows the basic concepts and tools related to the project management.
- Course book: Artto K., Martinsuo M., Kujala J., 2011.
- Project business, learning videos + other material.
All material is provided for free via the course homepage.
There are no lectures, so it is important to read these instructions carefully as well as the descriptions of the exercises.
All course material (short learning videos, course book and other material) is available on the course page. Therefore, you can start studying the course material already in advance even if the course starts officially on 22.5.
However, you have enough time to study the material even if you would begin studying at the beginning of June. Exercises and self-learning material for quizzes will be opened on 22.5. The submission deadlines for the course exercises are 11.6. and 18.6. The online exam will be organised on 20.6. at 16–19 (also two other exam options 30.8. 13–16 and 11.12. 9–12).
The course workload (135 h) is divided as follows:
- Lectures with preparations: 6 * (2+2) h = 24 h
- Exercises: 4 * 15 h = 60 h
- Preparation for the exam: 48 h
- Exam: 3 h
Course grading is based on the exam (60 %), exercises (30 %) and in-class exercises (10 %). The exam and exercises must be all passed to get credits for the course.
More information on the Aalto University course page and in the study guide.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
Contact person for applications