Machine learning: Supervised methods
Max amount of FITech students: 40
Persons without a valid study right at a Finnish university or university of applied sciences have preference to this course.
Mastering the prerequisite skills is very important in order to complete this course. Please list your preliminary knowledge in your application.
- Generalization error analysis and estimation
- Model selection
- Optimization and computational complexity
- Linear models
- Support vector machines and kernel methods
- Feature selection and sparsity
- Multi-layer perceptrons
- Multi-class classification
- Preference learning
After the course, the student
- knows how to recognize and formalize supervised machine learning problems,
- knows how to implement basic optimization algorithms for supervised learning problems,
- knows how to evaluate the performance supervised machine learning models,
- has understanding of the statistical and computational limits of supervised machine learning, as well as the principles behind commonly used machine learning models.
Mohri, Rostamizadeh, Talwakar: Foundations of Machine Learning and Shalev-Shwartz, Ben-David: Understanding Machine Learning, Cambridge University Press
Lectures (online) will be held on Tuesdays at 10:15-12:00. Exercise sessions (in Otaniemi) will be held on Fridays at 10:15-12:00. Attendance in lectures and exercise sessions is voluntary.
The exam will be held on 12.12.2022 at 17:00-20:00 in Otaniemi.
- 24 lecture hours
- 12 hours exercise session
- 3 hours exam
- 96 hours independent study
More information on Aalto University’s course page.
You can get a digital badge after completing this course.
koneaoppiminen tekoäly AI lineaarimallit algoritmit luokittelu optimointi
Further information about the studies
Contact person for applications